Marquee weddings in parks and public places

Ceremonies and receptions in parks or public places are possible but there are numerous Council regulations you must abide by. If you want to hold your wedding in a public space in Auckland, you will need to apply to council for an ‘Event Permit’.

You may also need to apply for other permits, depending on the size and type of event you are holding. For a marquee larger than 100-square metres, you must apply for a ‘Temporary Building Structure’ permit. The process may feel consuming as there is a lot of paperwork and time required, not to mention cost (around $500): but Auckland Council do maintain our beautiful parks and public spaces to a high standard and these processes and costs are in place to protect these areas.

We have such a vast selection of stunning public parks that are landscaped and manicured beautifully and are idyllic wedding settings, so don’t feel daunted by the prospect of going down the permit-application path – the result once you have your permit will be a perfect wedding setting, and beautiful memorable pictures for all. Keeping your tent size under 100-square metres means you eliminate the need for a permit, but you will still need to consider liquor bans, sound levels, toilet accessibility, car-parking, power access and more.

A 100-square metre marquee will hold around 60 to 90 guests standing or ‘milling’ cocktail-style. This sized tent is perfect for seated ceremonies (but wont allow for tables or other larger furniture.) For a seated reception for 120 guests, you would require between 200 and 240 square metres of ‘tent space’ – of course in this instance you would need a ‘Temporary Building Structure’ permit.

For more information on permits contact Auckland Council on 09-3010101 or click here and contact us directly – we’re happy to help with the process.